Friday, August 7, 2009

sis

So I spent part of my day yesterday with my sister and her family, along with my daughter and grandkids. Talk about something to be depressed about. My poor 58 year old sister is dwindling away in a nursing home in Des Plaines (we live in the far southwest suburbs). She has MS (like my mom) although it's not the reason she is there it contributes to the difficulties she has had. She fell over a year and a half ago and promptly went into a nursing rehab place. Well they let her sit in a wheel chair for hours a day and she developed large open bed sores. One thing has lead to another and now her muscles and tendons have atrophied and she is permanently disabled (she was walking with the aid of a cart on wheels before the fall). It's so sad, my sister was such a strong person, and she cooked and cleaned and went out. She loved to cook, she loved to eat, and now she weighs just over 100#'s and they are talking about a feeding tube to make sure she is getting the vitamins she needs. No one knows how awful it is for her, but we can imagine.So yesterday her daughters rented a van and picked her up to spend the day outside the home.Bittersweet. While I am sure she loved it, she is just going to want to do it more often and it is expensive, plus the logistics stink!

No comments: